Chris Abbinante is a co-chair of the firm’s Private Equity practice. In addition to advising private equity clients, Chris regularly represents public and private companies in connection with their transactional needs and other corporate matters. As a result of his regular representation of both financial sponsors and corporate clients, Chris brings to bear a distinctive perspective and skill set. He also has significant experience representing emerging companies, entrepreneurs and venture capital investors in connection with their investment activities. Prior to co-chairing the firm’s private equity practice, Chris was a co-chair of Sidley’s Emerging Company practice.
Chris represents private equity and corporate clients in a variety of industries, including healthcare, medical products and devices, financial institutions and services, technology and media/entertainment. His extensive experience in negotiating successful deals includes:
- Multiple transactions by RoundTable Healthcare Partners and their portfolio companies, including the acquisitions of Beaver-Visitec International and DPT Laboratories, add-on acquisitions for Argon Medical Devices and Aspen Surgical Products and the sale of Aspen.
- Multiple transactions by Fortress Investment Group and their portfolio companies, including the acquisition of Nationstar Mortgage and mortgage servicing assets from Bank of America, Aurora Bank and ResCap (terminated), and the buy-out of Container Leasing International.
- Sale of Walgreens pharmacy benefits management business and multiple acquisitions by Walgreens, including, among other businesses, USA Drug, drugstore.com, Happy Harry’s Discount Drug Stores, Medmark, Take Care Health Systems and Whole Health Management.
- Investment in Kerasotes Theatres by Providence Equity Partners and sale of Kerasotes Theatres to AMC.
- Peak6 Investment’s formation of Apex Clearing Corporation and the associated acquisition of assets from Penson Worldwide.
Strong leadership in advising private equity clients has earned Chris acknowledgement in numerous industry publications, including Law360, which, in 2010, recognized him as a “rising star” and one of the publication’s 10 corporate finance lawyers under 40 to watch. PLC Which Lawyer has recommended Chris in the area of Private Equity/Venture Capital. He was also selected by his peers to be included in the 2013 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law.
Chris received his J.D., cum laude, in 1997 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and was Comments Editor and Associate Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. Prior to attending law school, he received his B.B.A., magna cum laude, from University of Notre Dame in 1994.